Friday, July 17, 2009

REVIEW: DevilDriver

























Artist: DevilDriver
Album: Pray for Villains
Release Date: July 14th, 2009
Genre(s): Groove Metal

Hey guys, this is my first review so don't get up all on my ass yet :(. Anyway, here goes!

Ah yes, Mr.Dez Fafara and his crew is back with a new album, and I must say it still keeps with the in-your-face-kick-your-ass kind of sound we are used to hearing from them (minus the earlier nu-metal influences).

The album opens with a pretty hard riffing title track and is one of my favourite on the album (yes I know I put in a u, I'm Canadian) followed by a much slower track 2 titled "Pure Sincerity". The album really starts to get going on Fate Stepped In, my absolute favourite from the album. Beginning with a very catchy opening riff and a high tempo that continues right up near the end of the song when they have their characteristicly relaxed atmosphere that reminds me a lot from the beginning of"End of the Line" from their 2nd album. This leads us to the following track "Back With a Vengeance" which is not noteworthy of any way in my opinion, so I'll just continue to "I've Been Sober" which is another one of my favourites. A pretty catchy rhythm and chorus in this song, and I found it weird hearing a little bit of clean vocals near the end, very good song. The following 2 songs are mediocre but the track "Waiting for November" just kicks you right in the fucking face after the slow paced opening. The last noteworthy song in my opinion would be "Teach Me to Whisper", due to the catchiness and it is seemingly lighter than most of the other songs on the album, but still very good.

The limited edition version of this album has 4 extra songs including a meh cover of Wasted Years by Iron Maiden which was originally on the track listing of Maiden Heaven.

This is a pretty good release by DevilDriver, I'd rank it a bit higher than "The Last Kind Words". I'm having a tough time figuring out how to conclude this review, so I'll just wish you all a nice day : D. \m/

Track to Check: Fate Stepped In
Score: 7.8/10
-Dainja C.

1 comment:

  1. It's a pretty rockin' album. I don't think it competes with The Last Kind Words at all though. It's hard to live up to sick songs like Clouds Over California and Not All Who Wandre Are Lost. Pray for Villains has its share of killer tunes, though. "Another Night in London" is my fave from this album, it's a catchy song.

    ReplyDelete